PSE&G will begin emergency gas main repairs at the intersection of Route 70 and Covered Bridge/Frontage Road at 9 p.m. tonight, Monday, June 26. Work is scheduled 24 hours a day, and is expected to last approximately three weeks.
The following traffic pattern changes will be in place for the duration of the project:
- The intersection of Route 70 and Covered Bridge/Frontage will be closed to through-traffic.
- No left turns will be permitted onto Route 70 in either direction.
- Motorists will still be able to make right turns onto the highway.
- There will be a lane shift westbound in the area of the I-295 ramps to accommodate the work space in and around the median.
- The jughandle ramp from Rt 70 westbound near Frontage will also be closed since no left/U-turns or straight-throughs will be possible.
Two lanes of traffic WILL remain open in each direction at all times. Detours will be posted, and Cherry Hill Police will monitor speeding and traffic safety in areas along and around the detour routes. We will share updates as they are made available by PSE&G.
Below is a letter from PSE&G Supervisor James V. Venito Jr.:
PSE&G is making repairs to its natural gas facilities on Rt. 70 between Rt. 295 and Pine Valley Rd. in Cherry Hill. The work is taking place in conjunction with the NJDOT pavement replacement project currently being done on Rt. 70. The gas project begins Monday, June 26, 2017, and is expected to take approximately three weeks to complete. Work will take place 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays.
The repairs are necessary for NJDOT to complete the paving. Signs indicating local detours, including message boards, have been installed throughout the area. NJDOT and Municipal Officials are aware of the plans, and Cherry Hill Police will be on site throughout the project to direct traffic. PSE&G appreciates your patience and cooperation while we complete this important project.
Thank you in advance for allowing us to provide you with safe, reliable, economical natural gas, and for you cooperation in this matter. Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at 856-573-2015 during regular business hours and I will be happy to address your concerns and answer any questions you may have."